Thanksgiving Bucket List
The ultimate editor’s list of must-do activities for this Thanksgiving season
November 20, 2019
Beckman Beat editors Ethan Prosser and Bethany Bowers have come together to compile a bucket list of the best things to do this Thanksgiving.
- 4 lbs of Potatoes
- ⅓ cup salted butter (melted)
- Salt & Pepper (for a little extra flavoring)
- Peel and quarter potatoes
- Place into a pan of cold salted water
- Boil water on stove
- Cook for 15 minutes
- Drain water carefully
- Place butter into mix of potatoes
- Mash potatoes (with a masher or anything with a blunt edge) until the desired consistency is reached
- Optional: Season with salt and pepper
- ¼ cup turkey drippings (the fat and juice from the cooked turkey)
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups of liquid (can be liquid, turkey juice, or broth)
- ½ teaspoon of pepper
- Pour drippings into bowl, and leave anything solid out
- Return the drippings to the pan
- Stir in flour
- Cook over medium heat, and stir constantly until mixture is smooth
- Stir in liquid
- Stir while pan’s contents begin to boil
- Boil and stir 1 minute
- Add pepper
- 16 ounces cherries
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- In a medium saucepan, bring the cherries, sugar and water to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring often
- In a small bowl, stir lemon juice and cornstarch until smooth
- Whisk into boiling cherry mixture
- Return to boil, and stir constantly until the liquid has thickened
- Remove pot from heat and add in sugar
- Allow sauce to cool until it reaches room temperature
- 1 box of your choice of brownie mix
- Mini peanut butter cups
- Fall colored (or orange and brown) M&M’s
- Candy eyes (or candy color substitute)
- Candy corn
- Canned frosting
How to bake…
- Prepare and bake brownies according to the instructions on the back of the box
How to decorate the turkey brownies…
- Once brownies have cooled, cut them into 3 inch circles
- Add a small amount of icing to the back of the peanut butter cup to add the body of the turkey
- Add the candy eye or colored candy and red chocolate candy for the beak. Set the chocolate on the side, so it looks more like a beak.
- Add 4-5 candy corns to make turkey feathers
The Original Apple Pie
- ½ cup of sugar
- ½ cup of packed brown sugar
- 3 tbsp of all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp of ground ginger
- ¼ tsp of ground nutmeg
- 6-7 cups of thinly sliced peeled apples
- 1 tbsp of lemon juice
- 9-inch pastry crust
- 1 tbs of butter
- 1 large egg white
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar, flour and spices
- In a large bowl, toss the apples with lemon juice
- Add sugar mixture, and toss to coat
- Line a 9-inch pie plate with bottom crust
- Trim even with edge
- Fill with apple mixture
- Add a little bit of butter
- Roll the remaining crust to fit the top of the pie
- Place over the filling
- Cut slits in the crust
- Beat the egg white until it is foamy
- Brunch egg whites over the crust
- Sprinkle the top with sugar
- Cover the edges loosely with foil
- Bake the pie at 375 degrees for 25 minutes
- Remove the foil and back until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly
- Let cool for 15-20 minutes
Pumpkin Carrot Cake
- 2 cups of flour
- ¼ cups of yellow cornmeal
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1 tsp of salt
- 2 tsp of baking soda
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 2 tsp of cinnamon
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup of peanut oil
- 2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 2 cups of crushed pineapple
- 1 cup of pure pumpkin
- ½ cups of chopped walnuts
- ½-1 cups of coconut flakes
For homemade frosting:
- 4 tbsp of unsalted butter
- 8 oz of cream cheese
- 2 tbsp of lemon juice
- 3 cups of powdered sugar
- 1 cup of coconut flakes
- ¾ cups of chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Grease and lightly flour two 8-inch round cake pans
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, oil and vanilla until it creates a smooth texture
- Gradually add in dry ingredients. Dough should be very thick
- Fold in the pineapple and pumpkin until they are combined well
- Fold in carrots. Then, fold in the nuts and coconut until all are combined
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan, and bake for 50-60 minutes until cakes are browned on top
- Let cool for 30 minutes
For homemade frosting:
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter, cream cheese and lemon juice until smooth
- Gradually beat in powdered sugar until light and fluffy
- Fold in coconut and walnuts
- Use a spatula and cover a thick layer of frosting onto the cooled cake
- Cover the top and sides with remaining frosting
- Add walnuts or coconut on top for decoration
Don’t forget to enjoy all the dishes!
New Movies at the Cinema
This season the particular standout is “Frozen 2,” the holiday cinema experience of 2019. The film releases on November 22 and is the to-see movie of this season. “Frozen 2” is the sequel to 2013’s “Frozen” which gained massive overnight success and is currently one of the best-selling animated films of all time. If you miss this film, you’ll never Let it Go!
Trips to Mexico
A tradition that has been gaining momentum in Southern California is the trip to Western Mexico over Thanksgiving break. The warm beaches of Cabo San Lucas and Puerto Vallarta are noteworthy destinations for Beckman Students.
Black Friday Deals!
- Target’s sale this year will start at 5 pm on Thanksgiving Day.
- The sale and store will close at 1 am on Friday morning before reopening at 7 am.
- This year, Target’s ads features huge savings and discounts on electronics, video games, toys, clothing and home appliances.
- These discounts have highest average in previous years.
- Shipping on all orders is free with no minimum price.
- Every year, including this year, Target is offering their gift cards with many of their deals.
- Best Buy’s 2019 sales will begin at 5 pm on Thanksgiving and will last until 1 am on Friday morning. The doors will open back up at 8 am on Black Friday for more deals and sales.
- Best Buy’s sales are going to be online and in stores.
- The online sales run all day Thursday and Friday with some special online-only sales.
- There will be in-store-only discounts.
- Best Buy has been very heavily promoting and discounting HDTVd, a wide selection of Nintendo Switch games and several other popular items for Xbox and Playstation 4, which will also be on sale.
- Amazon is known for offering the most deals and the best discounts on their own products.
- Amazon has no physical locations, which means that all of their deals are on their website.
- Their lightning deal format means that many of the most popular items sell out within a matter of minutes.
- It is important to keep a good watch on the “upcoming deals” tab on Amazon’s website because the products only have a quantity that last the day, and most are gone quickly.
- The Nike Store does not have an official ad, but every year it releases a new selection of products.
- Instead of having the traditional Black Friday Sales, Nike showcases a collection of new shoes that are brand new for the day, so Black Friday is the first chance for customers to purchase them.
- Nike also has other items discounted on its website or in stores, but there are no huge deals or discounts like other stores.
- Promo codes will be announced to get up to 25 percent off on products.
- Nike+ members will receive free shipping on all orders on Black Friday no matter the order price.
- Other customers will receive free shipping for orders over $150.
Well, that’s our list. These are some ideas of yummy Thanksgiving food to eat around the tale while celebrating family traditions and fueling up for the long day of Black Friday shopping. We hope that you have a very happy Thanksgiving Holiday and you are able to give thanks and appreciate the amazing lives we have been given!