Winter Bucket List
The definitive bucket list of the best Winter activities for all Beckman Students to enjoy!
December 12, 2019
Here is a list of treats that are easy and fun to make. We highly recommend the gingerbread cookies as they are simply fantastic.
EASY FESTIVE HOLIDAY DESSERTS AND DRINKS
- 1 and ½ sticks of butter (softened)
- 1 cup packed with brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cups of molasses
- 4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons of ground ginger
- 1 and ½ teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon of salt
- Any Vanilla frosting
- Red and green (or whatever color you desire) food coloring
- In a large bowl cream together butter and brown sugar until it is light and fluffy.
- Then add in the egg and molasses
- Combine the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt
- Gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well cover and refrigerate for about 4 hours or overnight (until easy to handle)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Roll dough on a lightly floured surface to a ⅛ in. thickness
- Cut with floured cookie cutters
- Place each cookie apart on ungreased baking sheets
- Bake until the edges are firm (8-10 mins)
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10-15 mins
- Tint the frosting with the food coloring
- Decorate your cookies
- 6 eggs
- ⅓ cup of liquid honey or sugar
- ⅛ tsp of salt
- 4 cups of milk
- 1 tbsp of vanilla extract
- Whisk the eggs, honey, and salt in a large saucepan
- Gradually add 2 cups of milk
- Cook and stir over medium-low heat until mixture coats the back of spoon for 12-15 mins (don’t let the mixture boil)
- Pour into a large bowl that is heatproof
- Stir in the remaining milk and vanilla
- Place bowl in ice water stirring until the mixture is cool for 10-15 mins
- When serving, whisk in flavoring if desired
Peppermint Pretzel Bark
- 1 package of vanilla candy coating, chopped
- ½ tsp of peppermint extract
- Parchment paper
- 1 cup of chopped pretzel sticks
- ⅔ cup of chopped peppermint candy canes
- Microwave the candy coating in a heat safe glass bowl for 1 minute; stir and repeat until melted and smooth
- Stir in peppermint extract
- Spread half of melted candy coating about ⅛ inch thick parchment paper lined jelly-roll pan
- Sprinkle ½ cup of chopped pretzels and ⅓ cup of chopped candy chane over melted candy coating, lightly press into coating
- Let chill for 5 minutes or until cool and firm
- Break into pieces
Homemade Hot Cocoa
- ½ cup of sugar
- ¼ cup of baking cocoa
- A dash of salt
- ⅓ cup of hot water
- 4 cups of milk (any choice of dairy or dairy free milk desired)
- ¾ tsp of vanilla extract
- (optional) Miniature marshmallows, whipped cream, cinnamon sticks, sprinkles, chocolate drizzle, cinnamon
- In a saucepan combine sugar, cocoa, and salt
- Add water and let boil
- Cook and stir for about 2-3 minutes
- Stir in choice of milk
- Heat to serving temperature (do not let boil)
- Remove from heat
- Stir in vanilla
- Whisk until smooth
- Garnish with desired edible decorations/flavorings
Next up, here is a list of some of the best places and events to visit in the winter. Don’t forget to bring a winter jacket!
FESTIVE WINTER PLACES TO VISIT
Every year, Dana Point Harbor creates a holiday lights extravaganza for the winter season. Friends and family gather together to take a trip down the amusing and extravagant light displays and to enjoy the holiday spirits. The most famous light displays include Candy Cane Lane, the “Merry Kiss Me” arch, lighted trees and so much more family-friendly activities and performances.
Laguna Beach Winter Fantasy (Sawdust Art Festival)
The Laguna Beach Sawdust Art Festival presents their Winter Fantasy Festival annually. This winter-themed event includes handmade gifts and art created by 180 artists and makers, live music, holiday-themes festival classes, daily visits with Santa and so much more. This community event expresses their Christmas spirit by enjoying the love for art under falling snow, thousands of lights and decorations for festive winter photo ops.
Newport Beach Christmas Boat Parade and Ring of Lights
Each year the Newport Beach tradition is to light up the harbor and gather the community to celebrate the holidays. Spectators can watch as the boats in the Boat Parade cruise by garnished in lights, live entertainment, and outstanding decorations. This Boat Parade is also a contest for the boat with the most festive decor.
Here is a list of what he considers to be the best holiday movies. Their rankings range from G to R and come in all manners of genres.
GREAT WINTER MOVIES (UPCOMING & RELEASED)
This movie is on here more as a joke than an actual submission on this list, but actually to anyone who hasn’t seen this amazing film yet we highly recommend it. The hot debate over whether this is a Christmas movie or not is timeless, but I won’t get into here…
Fargo is one of the most outlandish independent films of its decade. It has created its own TV-show and cult-following after its initial launch. The dark humor of the film and the accents of many of the characters make this one of the best winter-films of all time
This movie has a bit of hate behind it in recent years due to its insane levels of popularity, but maybe it’s just best to “let it go.” Jokes aside, this is actually one of the best films to watch during the holiday season. It’s certainly an all-around pleaser for the family and is quite possibly the best on this list.
Star Wars the Ride of Skywalker
While the final entry in the Star Wars series has not been released yet, I can almost immediately guarantee that this will be a hit success. The end of the Star Wars series is a time I am sad to see, but I am sure the series will go out with a bang! The film releases on Dec. 20 and I highly recommend seeing this in theatres.
OUT-OF-STATE SKI RESORTS THAT’LL MAKE ANYONE WANT TO HIT THE SLOPES
Park City – Utah
- Park City is both a great resort for beginners and those more experienced with the slopes. From Homerun to Silver Falls, the slopes are always amazing, even at the end of the season and the staff is very friendly and helpful. While certainly not the cheapest of resorts, there are plenty of deals to make a lift-pass cheaper for however long of a trip you plan.
SnowBasin – Utah
- While Park City is a great resort for beginners and intermediates, Snowbasin really shines in its slopes for experts. Having skied down some of the slopes myself, including the black-diamond ones I can say that these slopes are no joke and it’s better to ride these earlier in the season rather than later as ice can form on the slopes making a lot of Catfish turns very hard to navigate.
Vail – Colorado
- Vail is the exception to the other two on the list as I have never personally been to this resort. However, I have heard from both family friends and many acquaintances that Vail is the place to go! Downsides are that it is rather expensive, but the architecture of the city is superb and the slopes are supposed to be second to none in all of Colorado.
Well that’s our list. What a way to end the year right? Well, if you can only do maybe one or all of the things on this list we hope you have an amazing end of this year!