the student-run multimedia platform for the Beckman Patriots

Farewell Water Polo. From, Your Seniors

As the water polo season comes to an end, while others anticipate their return the following year, it is the class of 2020’s last time playing as the Beckman Patriots. Their four years were filled with long hours of practice, rewarding victories, and unforgettable memories, building a long lasting friendship with each other. Before they embark on their own journeys, the seniors of Junior Varsity and Varsity Water Polo want to share their farewell message to their team and the school.

October 28, 2019

Mo Hijazi, Team Manager

The past four years in water polo have really taken me on a roller coaster. I’ve gotten to meet a lot of unique and different personalities over the years. Hanging out with the guys has really brought a lot of entertainment to my life – it’s definitely something else. However, starting freshman year, having one of my older coaches, Coach Billy, he always just brought fond memories and good talks before practice and after games. One of my memorable quotes would be “Let em hang” by Coach Billy. It’s definitely one of the ones up there. And just moving on, we had Coach Duje join us which has really brought up my skills and improved me as a person in general. He’s always there, and he’s a good person to talk to. And in general, he’s a good person to be around. I’d like to thank all my teammates, and just for the future water polo players, definitely enjoy the time you are here and honestly just enjoy the journey. Don’t overstress yourself, everything will work out fine. I’d also like to thank Coach Demont for being there since day one. He’s really taught me the discipline with all the get outs we spent over the years. Thank you guys, hope you guys enjoy the rest of your water polo career, and thank you, coaches, and to my parents.

Elijah Clark, Team Captain (#17)

I’ve been playing water polo for as long as I can remember. I came into Beckman, played a lot of high level from my freshman year, and I’m hoping to go on to play college water polo. With this team, I’ve made most of the closest friends I have now. Going forward, I look to keep them with me. Looking back, we have had a couple of coaches, and I think most of my best memories come from freshman year. One of those being during hell week, just out in the pool doing some legs with the music blasting. I look forward to water polo in the future, and I’m [going to] miss this team.

Aidan Miller, Perimeter (#15)

I’ve been a part of this team since freshman year, and I can honestly say that it probably was one of the highlights of my high school career here at Beckman. I’ve made so many close friends; I’ve done so many things that I wouldn’t have done before like getting drowned by everyone on the team, basically. Probably one of my favorite memories is going to one of my friend’s house at 3 a.m. and just going in their jacuzzi and listening to music ‒ something I wouldn’t have been able to [do] had I not been on this team. I’m [going to] miss this team so much next year when I go to college, and I hope that the relationships continue to build throughout everyone else’s time on this team.

Nathan Boone, Utility (#18)

This has been my favorite club ‒ I’ve always loved water polo. Water polo has been a sense of motivation and team bonding. This team may be unconventional and silly sometimes, but when it comes to being necessary, I know that we take care of the job. I know that I can always rely on my teammates to do the best and be the best whenever we need them. I can rely on them and trust them, and I know that that’s what teamwork is all about. I’m going to miss this team very much.

Joe Waltz, Team Captain (#6)

I’ve been apart of this team for four years now, and it is one of my greatest treasures because this team is something that I can’t find anywhere else, and all the friends and teammates that I have are very very important to me. All the memories that we’ve made here couldn’t have been made anywhere else, and I know that I’m [going to] keep all the friends that I have here for future years. So many memories, coming from freshman year up until now, have special places in my heart, and I just hope that I will be able to find something like this and even be able to keep the friends I have here going forward.

Andrei Gogosha, Set (#8)

I’ve been playing on this team for four years; I’ve played water polo for seven. I got to play all the levels of water polo here at Beckman, started out on open, now I’m on varsity. Thank goodness I improved. I had a whole lot of fun, just getting great memories of our team doing all sorts of stuff at practice, having to swim get out sprints freshman year [until] our coach was happy – that was terrible but quite frankly, very good in the long run. [I] got to have a whole lot of great memories.

Eli Schwartz, Utility (#9)

I’ve been part of this team throughout my whole high school career. I looked forward to it every day, and basically water polo is something that I really loved doing throughout my entire high school career. There’s never a dull moment with this team inside the water or outside the water, and I just really love everyone here. They are like my second family, so bye guys, I’ll miss you guys.

Elias Martinez, Goalie (#1)

I’ve had a blast these last four years during water polo. One of my favorite memories I have to say is when Eli broke the glass table in the team room because he stacked the chairs too high, and it got knocked over. I just wanted to thank everyone on the team for this great year and the last three years.

Elias Chaanine, Perimeter (#2)

Not shown in the video

I’d like to start off by saying thank you to my team for always being there and supporting throughout my four years. The water polo team has been such an amazing experience and is one of the things that helped make my four years amazing, and I’m so thankful for everyone that helped make it amazing, from my teammates to my friends that showed up to the games to support us, it’s something I will never forget.

Coach Duje, Varsity Coach

Dear seniors, 

I just want to say a couple [of] things as your coach after three years of having a pleasure to coach you in the game of water polo, and hopefully, in this crazy thing we call life. First off, I want to say thank you. Thank you for all the hard work that you guys put in day in and day out, both in the pool as well as in the classroom as I know being a student-athlete is not an easy thing to do. And that brings me to the second point, that I want to tell you how proud I am for all of your performance in the pool, for all the good results that you have accomplished in and out of the pool over the last three years. Lastly, I want to wish you all good luck in your future endeavors in life, in the colleges, whichever college you might go into, whether its a junior college route or a 4-year college. I also want to tell you that I’m always going to be here, always going to be on the pool deck, always going to be a phone call away. If you have any issues, any need for work, anything you might need in life, know that I’m always going to be your coach, and I’m going to be your friend.